Skip to content
Click to Call
AW Burchell Agency Inc

114 River St
Cortland, NY 13045

Get Directions

Does Flood Insurance Cover Renters?

Yes. Just as the FDIC has your bank’s back up to $250,000, so does the National Flood Insurance Program up to $100,000. Renters’ personal belongings are covered under such a policy. The landlord’s homeowners policy wouldn’t cover renters’ personal belongings, which is the reason for renters’ insurance. Flood insurance just takes it one step further.

Renters should know before they buy a flood insurance policy their city’s risk analysis. For example, you should know if you live within or outside high-risk areas and plan accordingly. As another example, content coverage is standard, but what about boats, RVs, or ATVs stored near or on the property? Ask a representative of the AW Burchell Agency Inc. in New York about this.

Floodplain Mapping

The Environmental Protection Agency and the Federal Emergency Management Agency along with your local governmental offices provide homeowners and renters with floodplain mapping for their own analysis. Streams, creeks, and low-lying areas are mapped in addition to an assessment of how bad it will be when the water rises.

Recreational Vehicles

Since no government agency like the National Flood Insurance Program will replace your RV or other recreational vehicles in the event of a flood, it’s up to you to contact your local New York flood insurance agency for help. A policy will protect your personal belongings as well as the vehicle if it’s totaled. 

Why Renters’ Insurance Doesn’t Cover Flooding

Renters sustaining water damage from plumbing leaks or a sump malfunction would have their belongings replaced under renters’ insurance. The vagaries of weather, such as torrential rains causing flooding or the blowing of stormy rains causing flooding, however, are out of the renters’ insurance question.

A separate flood insurance policy from AW Burchell Agency Inc. would protect your belongings from flood waters. Adding riders to your policy protects recreational vehicles parked on the property.

Life insurance FAQs

Life insurance is a lasting gift that can help your family and loved ones survive financially after you have passed away. If you have someone who depends on you and your income, it can make sure that they’re able to maintain their current lifestyle. Even if you are not there to provide for them. If you live in New York or Pennsylvania, you can count on AW Burchell Agency Inc. to be there for you to answer questions and to help you if you need to file a claim. 

When should I start buying life insurance?

Some parents buy whole life insurance policies for their children to get them started at an early age, so it is never too early. When you are young and healthy, your life insurance will be the best price ever, so as soon as you can afford to, is the best answer. You don’t need to start big, but you should start. 

Can I have more than one beneficiary? 

Yes, you can have pretty much as many beneficiaries as you want. Keep in mind if you are choosing grandchildren, for example, they will not be able to collect until they are of age. 

Why should I buy whole life insurance?

Whole life insurance will stay with you for your entire life. It doesn’t have a term, the payment won’t go up, and it will last all of your life. It earns cash value, and if you have it long enough, it will be worth more than face value. You can also borrow against this policy if the need should ever arise. It makes a nice addition to a lifetime financial plan. 

Give us a call

In New York and Pennsylvania you can rely on AW Burchell Agency Inc. to be there for you today and in the future. 

Understanding the Basics of Auto Insurance

New York and Pennsylvania are two of the most populous states in the United States. Both of these states have a rich history and diverse cultures that make them unique and exciting places to live. Despite their differences, they share a common need for quality insurance services, and that’s where AW Burchell Agency Inc. comes in.

With over 50 years of experience, we have built a reputation for providing exceptional customer service and delivering personalized insurance solutions to meet the needs of our clients. One of the most common coverages we offer is the one for your automotive needs. 

Understanding the Basics of Auto Insurance

Auto insurance is mandatory in both New York and Pennsylvania.

These are the main types of coverage options:

Liability Coverage: You need to have at least an auto liability insurance policy added to your coverage. This is required by law.

Collision Coverage: Without this coverage, you need to pay out of pocket for repairs to your vehicle in the case of an accident where the other motorist is not liable to pay. 

Comprehensive Coverage: This coverage coves in handy if your vehicle gets damaged by any natural disaster of vandalism.

Give Us A Call

AW Burchell Agency Inc. is committed to providing the highest quality insurance services to its clients in New York and Pennsylvania. From its offices in these two states, the agency is able to provide a local touch to its services, ensuring that clients receive the best possible insurance experience. When you are looking for the right policy for your automobile, give us a call and we will find the coverage that best fits your needs.

What Types of Insurance Should You Have for Your Home Business?

If you run a home business, protecting yourself, your employees, and your business with the right insurance policies is important. AW Burchell Agency Inc. is here to explain the insurance policies for home businesses in Pennsylvania and New York.

Types of Insurance For Your Home Business

General Liability Insurance

This policy covers legal responsibility for bodily injury and property damage caused by your business operations. It also covers personal injury like libel and slander. This policy can help pay for medical bills, court costs, settlements, and other damages related to lawsuits from injuries or damages caused by your business activities.

Property Insurance

Property insurance is important for any home-based business owner because it helps cover losses due to theft, vandalism, fire, and other events that could cause damage to the building or its contents. 

Workers’ Compensation Insurance

If you employ people in your home-based business, you must carry workers’ compensation insurance to protect you and them in case of an on-the-job injury or illness. This type of policy benefits an employee who is injured while performing duties related to their job at your place of business. 

Business Interruption Insurance

Business interruption insurance helps protect businesses from potential income losses due to unexpected events such as fires or natural disasters that temporarily prevent operations from continuing as usual. Depending on the specifics of the policy, this coverage may pay out benefits based on fixed expenses (such as rent) plus estimated profits that were lost during the period when your operations were affected by the event.

Give Us A Call

Home businesses in Pennsylvania and New York require several types of specialized insurance policies to operate safely and securely.  Contact AW Burchell Agency Inc. today, and we can help you get your business needs covered.

Understanding the 80/20 Rule of Homeowners Insurance

Homeowners insurance is a must for anyone who owns a home in New York or Pennsylvania.  One of the most important concepts to understand is the 80/20 rule—a basic principle that applies to all homeowners’ insurance policies. So, what is the 80/20 rule in homeowners insurance? AW Burchell Agency Inc. is here to assist with all your queries.

What Is the 80/20 Rule?

The 80/20 rule is a basic concept that applies to all homeowners’ insurance policies. It states that insurers will only pay out up to 80% of a claim’s cost after it has been approved. This means that if your claim costs $10,000, you will only be able to receive $8,000 from your insurer. You must pay the remaining 20% of your claim.

How Does It Work?

The easiest way to understand how the 80/20 rule works is by looking at an example. Say you have an insured event, and the total claim amount comes out to $10,000. Your insurer approves the claim, but since it is subject to the 80/20 rule, they will only cover up to $8,000 worth of repairs and replacements. You are then responsible for covering the remaining $2,000 out-of-pocket or through other sources, such as savings or investments, if you don’t have enough cash on hand or available credit on your credit cards.

 What Are Some Exceptions?

The good news is that there are some exceptions when it comes to the 80/20 rule in homeowners’ insurance policies in New York and Pennsylvania. Additionally, some insurers will provide coverage for 100% of certain types of claims, such as liability claims.

Give Us A Call

In short, the 80/20 rule states that insurers will pay up to 80% of approved claims while leaving 20% to homeowners. Still have questions? Contact AW Burchell Agency Inc. today.

Partner Carriers

  • Allstate
  • Amercian Modern
  • Bristol West
  • Broome Co-Operative
  • Central Co-OP CCIC
  • dryden mutual
  • Fingerlakes Fire & Casualty
  • Foremost
  • Hagerty
  • JC Taylor
  • Main Street America
  • Mercury
  • National General
  • Nationwide
  • NYCM
  • Progressive
  • Safeco
  • Travelers
  • USLI
  • Wayne Co op